By Michael Lear-Olimpi
Knightly News Co-Adviser
SUMMERDALE – Gillian Branstetter, a reporter with the Central Penn Business Journal, will talk to Professor Michael Lear-Olimpi’s COM220 (Journalism I) class on Thursday, from 11 to noon, in ATEC 308.
Branstetter, who covers business in the Susquehanna Valley, specializes in reporting on and has expertise in technology, social media, media theory and politics.
She has reported for such popular online media outlets as The Daily Dot, and has written for The Atlantic.
Branstetter also has interest in social-justice and equity issues.
She has also written opinion articles.
Branstetter will talk to students about:
- How to cover a beat
- What it’s like to report for a business publication
- Staying in touch with sources
- Working with public relations practitioners with
- Places to hang out while developing sources and stories
- How to find a story
- How to parse information you collect into a story
- Skills you need
Branstetter worked in layout and was a copy editor for The Capital Times, at Penn State Harrisburg, where she studied secondary education.
She will also take questions from students and other attendees. All are welcome to attend.