Editor’s note: The following is an editorial by Student Government President Yuliani Sutedjo. The opinion is hers, and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Knightly News or its staff, and is not an endorsement. Sutedjo is also vice president of The Knightly News.
By Yuliani Sutedjo
Karen M. Scolforo, the ninth president of Central Penn College, resigned on Sept. 15.
She said in several communications to faculty, staff and students that she decided to resign because she needed to live closer to her mother, who is ailing.
“I made the decision to apply with the goal of moving closer to my ailing mother, and to provide some support for my sister, who serves as her sole care provider,” Scolforo said in Central Station email on Sept. 4.
Scolforo will become president of Castleton University, in Vermont, in early December.
During Scolforo’s tenure, from 2013, she accomplished many things.
Below are a few of those accomplishments listed on her curriculum vitae (CV):
- She built The Underground, which provides students the ability to relax and have some fun. The building consists of the Capital BlueCross Theatre, offices, a gym, the Student Government Association office, a dance studio and the student lounge.
- She also redesigned the new health science building, called the Donald B. and Dorothy L. Stabler Health Sciences Building.
- Expanded academic programs, including four new medical bachelor degrees and three graduate-level options.
- Established the Center for Global Education and Cultural Inclusion.
- Increased underrepresented populations by 30 percent in staff and faculty.
- Installation of a gender-neutral restroom.
Besides these achievements, she received many awards for being involved in the community. Below are some of them listed on her (CV):
- Century Link Business Woman of the Year, 2017.
- YWCA Woman of Excellence, 2017.
- Central Penn Business Journal Executive Leadership Team (president and cabinet) nominee, 2016.
- Women’s Conference Care to Share, 2017.
- Central Penn Business Journal Woman of Influence, 2016.
- Carlisle Chamber of Commerce Business Woman of the Year nominee, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- West Shore Chamber of Commerce Prestigious Visionary Luminary, 2015.
- U.S. Women’s Chamber of Commerce, Women Who Thrive, 2015.
As the president of the Student Government Association, I want to thank you for all the work you did.
Your accomplishments and awards have been helpful for our students and made Central Penn College grow bigger with the many connections you made.
Thank you for making The Underground a reality. Students get to experience the world of theater, are able to exercise and have a place to hang out.
The time you took to have monthly meetings with the Student Government Association was helpful for us to allow direct communication with you about student concerns.
Thank you for taking time to support the events that happened on campus, such as coming to many basketball home games and some away games, coming to see the student-created play and some other plays held at the Capital BlueCross Theatre, coming to some of the poetry contests in The Underground, and other events.
I wish you all the best at Castleton University, and reuniting with your mom and sister.
To comment on this story, or to suggest one, contact TheKnightlyEditors@CentralPenn.Edu.