We Made It!

By on 9-29-2013 in Croatia 2013

We Made It!

Dobar dan from Croatia (Good day)!
I’m Marilee Long, an unconventional student from Central Penn College, fulfilling my final term requirements by adventuring through Europe. This is my second time taking complete advantage of the Immersion Program here. I traveled to Australia last year with the program. I can’t understand why the entire CPC population doesn’t do the same. Let’s see, I could be sitting in a classroom, or traveling through Europe. Europe, please! I’ll think about my student loans later…
We all met up at the Philadelphia Airport and flew to Frankfort. In Frankfort, the students were all present at the gate for our flight to Zadar, but we had to page our missing professor. It wasn’t his fault, though. The airline changed the gate after our arrival. Luckily one of the students noticed that the next flight out was going to Cairo, and asked the right questions to the right people. We all arrived in Zadar, except my carry-on which the airline offered to check when we left Frankfort. Tomislav and his friends met us at the airport and transported us to our new abode. We were greeted there by a wonderful spread under a kiwi tree canopy. After getting settled into our apartments, we explored the waterfront and rendezvoused for the dinner that Professor Davison touted to us for months. For a good reason. What a feast! Course one-fish/rice soup; course two-garlic mussels; course three-inkfish risotto and shrimp pasta; course four-salmon steak and sautéed spinach and potatoes; course five-custard pie similar to flan. I was so exhausted after our long journey that I fell asleep several times between courses. We took a short tour through Old Town to wet our appetites for more touring and headed back.
I was awoken at 10:58, which was just in time for our first 11:00 daily meeting. We received our weekly food allowances and were shuttled to the supermarket. Phyllis, Christal, Tori, and I were the first group to go. Forty-five minutes later, we were only on the second aisle. A full cart of food only used up half of our allowance! Tori volunteered to make the first dinner of chicken parmesan which we shared with Dwight, Nate, Byron, and Arsenio. We then rushed to catch a bus to Old Town and enjoyed a few beverages al fresco. The social scene in Old Town is quite festive on a Saturday night and we were treated to some great intercultural exchanges. That’s a scholarly way of saying that we had a blast.
Sunday is sort of overcast and drizzly, so we are staying close to home and planning Christal’s birthday extravaganza this evening. Life is good.
I was told while blogging last year to ask questions at the end of the blog. So here goes. Have you ever passed on an opportunity like this program offers?

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *