I’m on the Other Side of the World!

By on 10-05-2012 in Australia 2012

I’m on the Other Side of the World!

Hi, my name is Marilee Houtz and I will be sharing my journal entries from Australia with you. I hope you enjoy these posts.

30 Sept, 2012

I’m in Australia!  I’m on the opposite side of the world and everything is opposite.  I guess I should share what got me here.  I’m not your normal college student.  I’m a 54-year-old woman with 5 daughters and grandchildren numbers five and six due in April.  My life has taken some wild turns in the last few years.  I finally got out of an abusive marriage, lost 60 pounds, got a great job, made a bad career move, lost a great job, went back to school, and am now living the life.  That about sums it up.  It has not been a total piece of cake, though.  I lost my only sister this year, and that still breaks my heart every day.  I took my classes online last semester, and fulfilled a lifetime dream by spending the entire summer at the beach. Now I’m on a beach in Australia!  What a wild ride it’s been.  Sit down, shut up, and hold on!

LaTanya is teaching me how to blog, as I am a dinosaur and have never blogged before.  I hope to give readers a different (i.e. older) perspective on our journey.  I hope I don’t bore all you young whippersnappers too bad!

The trip here was a grueling 30 hour ordeal, with an 8 hour layover in LA, a 14 hour flight to Brisbane that took off at 1:45am our time, and a 3 hour bus ride to Hervey Bay.  Our motel is directly across the street from the beach with a beautiful walkway that goes on for miles.  The weather is not conclusive to the beach yet, but it is turning from spring to summer here, so we should be having beach days soon.

We’ve been exploring the town, and I went on a 3 hour walk the other day to find where my Weight Watchers meeting would be the next day.  It didn’t look that far on the map, but my blisters proved me wrong.  I found a lot of interesting and useful places along the way, so the girls and I took a bus trip to the mall I found the next day.  Hervey Bay is a small quiet resort town, and there is not much in the way of urban conveniences or nightlife, but it is beautiful.  It is totally different than Stone Harbor, where I spent my summer, but I am learning to appreciate it.  As the sun gets brighter, the water is turning a tropical turquoise blue.  We are taking a trip to Fraser Island next week that has beautiful white sand beaches, and I am planning an excursion to the Great Barrier Reef.  Life is good.

I enjoy walking and exploring when I travel.  What do you enjoy when traveling?

24 Comments

1. Hi Marilee!

Welcome to the blogging world! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us – looks like you’re having a blast in Australia.

Walking to your weight watchers meeting made me laugh – but just think of how many activity points you can rack up from that hike!

Keep up the great work, I look forward to hearing about your experiences down under!

• I used a month’s worth of activity points on Fraser Island this week! I used them all up with the good food there though, also. Always a balance. I don’t think the scale is heading in the right direction here, though. Ugh. But, it’s all good! :-)

• Well toilets flush backwards there, right? I assume that means that it’s good if the scale goes in the “wrong” direction!

2. It’s great to hear from you down under!
    Enjoy your time & keep on keepin’ on.
    It’s crazy the way life has it’s twists & turns, ups & downs…looks like it’s your turn to sit back & enjoy the ride.

Enjoy the sun!
    Kate

3. A person essentially lend a hand to make critically articles I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular put up incredible. Excellent job!

4. What i do not realize is if truth be told how you’re not really much more smartly-liked than you might be now. You’re so intelligent. You realize thus considerably when it comes to this matter, produced me for my part believe it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men are not interested except it’s one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding. All the time deal with it up!

5. what’s up, notable blog on unctuous loss. corresp onding helped.

6. If you are going for finest contents like myself,
    simply visit this web site daily as it gives feature contents, thanks

7. I respect something truly exceptional in this site.

8. Just a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding pattern. “Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.” by Christina Georgina Rossetti.

9. I am curious to find out what blog system you happen to be working with? I’m experiencing some minor security problems with my latest website and I’d like to find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?

10. what’s up, high-minded blog on greasy loss. corresp onding helped.

11. The the extremely next time Somebody stated a weblog, Hopefully so it doesnt disappoint me just as considerably as this website. I mean, Yes, it was my substitute for read, but I really thought youd have some factor fascinating to say. All I hear is usually a bunch of whining about something you may fix in situation you werent as well busy in search of interest.

12. Your blog is very interesting and looking very nice.

13. Hi there, I got your website via Bing while looking for a similar theme, your web site got here up, it looks very good. I have bookmarked it in my web search bookmarks.

14. Great post, really intriguing concept. You make a good point that all the variables need to return into play. Choosing a good vacation property is most critical for property management who assists you throughout the purchasing process and beyond to conclusion.

15. I like your blog very much. I always read your informative blog post. I want to add some vacation rentals information with the help of your blog.

16. Hey there, I found your www site via Bing whilst looking for a similar theme, your www site got here up, it looks very good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

17. buenas noches, primary blog on unctuous loss. aforesaid helped.

18. Hi there, I got Yours page via Bing whilst searching for a similar theme, your web site got here up, it looks great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

19. Wonderful web site. Lots of helpful info here. Iˇ¦m sending it to some pals ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks to your sweat!

20. Hey there, I found your website via Yahoo while looking for this theme, your web page got here up, it looks very good. I have checked it in my www bookmarks.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Locksmith Humble - click here... Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting info ....
  2. wordpress listings plugin - nice stuff... I like this web site so much, bookmarked ....

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *